Sunday, February 20, 2011

35 Years Have Passed



Today we are celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary.

My husband and I had a rather typical courtship. We met in high school and attended prom together. Not so typical, I fell down the grand staircase, landing on the ballroom dance floor. He chased behind me the whole way down, trying to catch me and stop the fall. My senior year in high school, he asked me to marry him. I said yes and he sold his 57 chevy pickup truck to buy my engagement ring. He then left the country for two years (Serving a mission for our church). When he got home, we prepared for the wedding and got married three months later.

My mother sewed my wedding dress. It was the object of some tension in our wedding plans. I knew exactly what I wanted and had a hard time describing that to her so she could understand and execute. But somehow she succeeded, and we both survived. And the wedding dress was gorgeous.

Those 35 years have passed quickly, or so it seems. Looking at the results of those 35 years, I guess it has taken some time. We built our own home, in my grandmother’s tomato patch where she raised a lot of tomatoes. We raised our six children there. Five of those six children are married and we have nine grandchildren. And what beautiful grandchildren they are. This land has been good to us these past 35 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment